There was a quarter at Pierce College when I had to work with Flash. No way to get out of it, I had to use it. In fact, I even had to use a little ActionScript. For someone with minimal programming skills, it wasn’t so bad. But it’s not for designers, that’s certain. I ended up helping a lot of people in that class with the code portion of the assignments. Thankfully I still had plenty of time for my own projects.
Two of the assignments were to create assets for a flash game. We were given a rudimentary side-scrolling flash game engine. In fact, it was so rudimentary that it had plenty of pitfalls, including not being able to run more than one level. At one point during the second assignment, I spent several hours trying to figure out how to fix that so that I could make multiple levels. Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure that out. But I did manage to make it impossible for a character to jump off the left edge of the game stage. Yeah, that game engine was a little messy.
The final version of the project was to include at least one “baddy”, one type of “coin”, the main character, platforms, ground, a custom flag, custom sounds, and a custom level design. And in case you’re wondering, there are many slightly slanted walls because I discovered that I could force my character to land on the wall segments unless I leaned them toward him. Yet another game engine design flaw that I was unable to fix.
This post was written by Mikal